Thursday, August 6, 2015

A busy day

Today seemed especially busy. Pastor Pracki gave the children their t-shirts from the Bible class. They had the Bible passage theme on them.  "So this is love.  Not that we love God but that he loved us and gave his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins."  1 John 4:10. They were pretty excited to get the shirts!  Then during our snack time, which they call second breakfast, a man from the Opole radio station came to interview some of the children.  He also interviewed Pastor Awe and me.  The wanted to hear a woman's voice. This was not my favorite thing to do!  :-). We also sang some songs for the radio. We will be singing the same songs in church on Sunday. 

Today instead of our traditional Polish meal we had soup and pizza. Polish pizza looks like ours except it doesn't have the tomato base. I couldn't believe how much the kids ate. I guess just like American kids do!  :-). What I did find unusual was that they serve catsup to put on the pizza. I couldn't make myself do that. 

Then this afternoon we went to a German Stalag where military POWs were kept. I never knew these existed.  Not nearly as many people at this place than at Auschwitz.   These were not death camps because of the Geneva Convention.  POWs were imprisoned here from all over Erope and Norrh America.  The Russians, however didn't sign the Geneva Convention and they were killed/executed by the Germans. They found a mass grave of 40,000 Russians.  I found a cemetery with German soldiers buried there and found a Gustoff Riedel.  A long lost relative?  Riedel is a very common German name.  

Today I'm including a picture of Pastor Awe being interviewed with Ania, our translator.  The second picture is one of the monuments to commemorate war dead near the Stalag.   


No comments:

Post a Comment